Thursday, October 7, 2010

sinking in

"So has it hit you yet?"

At the time, I was mopping the kitchen floor, bending over occasionally to scrape up a dot of paint with my fingernail.  I glanced over at Ryan on the living room couch.

"I guess," I said, pausing to lean on the mop. "I mean, I've gotten used to living here."

"Me too," he agreed.  "But I'm not sure it's sunk in yet that it's actually ours."

Tonight, I am soaking in a delightful fall evening on my back porch, drinking Tetley British Blend with half-and-half and listening to Chopin's nocturnes and acoustic Christmas music while I write this.  Every now and then I catch a whiff of my cinnamon spice candle.  It makes me start thinking of gingersnaps and shortbread cookies.  A boy across the street is shooting hoops to the light of his garage floodlight.  Other than the few houses that have outside lights on, it is nearly pitch black in our little section of neighborhood.  The moon is nowhere to be found, and the lack of glaring street lights seems mysteriously cozy.

I suddenly realize that this is what I have been waiting for--a place of relaxation and inspiration.  And here it is, tonight on my back porch.  It is so quiet, so peaceful, so secure.  Is this what home feels like?  Because I really, really like it.

I know there is something magical about the fall, and it doesn't seem to matter where you live.  As a life-long Floridian, I've never really seen seasons change before.  For me, I only know it's fall because a couple of mornings ago, I walked outside and it was below eighty degrees.  And when I stopped by the beach today, I realized I could be laying out and not get too uncomfortably sweaty.  But apparently, that's all it takes.

Something warm and fuzzy starts to happen to me when I notice the winter coming.  I start longing for comforts of home--peaceful music, warm liquids, family and friends, baked goodies, sweaters.

I am amazed and so thankful that I can come home, to our home, and enjoy all of these things with a sense of serenity and permanence.  God's provisions for us are unfailing; no matter how long we have to wait or what awkward circumstances we find ourselves in beforehand, He is faithful to give us more than we could have asked for or even imagined because we waited on His timing.

Why is it that after so many times of seeing His faithfulness, I am still so amazed?  Oh how He loves us...

No comments: