Friday, February 4, 2011

stress

It is all too easy to get stressed out and forget to take care of myself.  I sometimes seem to be last on my priority list, especially when there is a lot of change going on or a lot of unexpected events.

My family is good at reminding me that stressful situations or problems are only temporary.  A conversation between my mom and I this week reminded me of the very important word, perspective.  Perspective can change the way I react to a situation in an instant.  Ryan says that stress is simply a reaction to change, and how I react (or how stressed I get) is up to me.

This past week, I got stressed over money.  We had a large unforeseen expense come up and a significant theft happen around the same time.  Initially, I didn't react very well.

Stress doesn't have to be all bad.  Change and unexpected circumstances are a natural part of life, where lessons are learned, and are often a catalyst for breaking the monotony of daily routines.  However, when I let stress take over and mutate into a big ball of worry, I lose sight of the big picture.  I will start adding stresses to my growing ball of chaos so that life now seems to be falling apart.  I then become the mass of chaos, and it isn't pretty.  Poor hubby.

The other way to handle it is to take it in stride and learn something.  Life has stress, it's true.  But it IS temporary.  Earthly treasures will be destroyed or stolen.  And, "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matt 6:21)  This is where the perspective comes in.  Do I want to invest my heart in things that will turn to dust or things that are eternal?

My dad used to say, "money is only money".  I know that God takes care of us when we live in obedience and wisdom, as well as in grace.  We have been so blessed with a beautiful home, wonderful friends and family, and so many earthly things that make our lives enjoyable and comfortable.  I'd certainly rather enjoy these gifts then let other things ruin it.

So yesterday, besides going to work, I got a massage, sat outside Starbucks and wrote, and went to Zumba class.  When stressful things happen, I need to remember perspective and still prioritize what I enjoy and do things I want.  It doesn't mean that I get to ignore the problems, but I know that I still need to care for myself in the process of tackling stressful situations.  Perhaps even more so.  Why not have some fun!

No comments: